Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Saturday Morning Breakfast

Saturday morning is my favorite day because I get to cook a decent breakfast. While I like my grits or pancakes, this low carb breakfast is one of my favorites. You will need:

1 medium onion
1 tblsp butter
1 large egg
3 slices bacon

The key to this breakfast is carmelizing the onions. You'll want to slice them as thinly as possible. A mandolin or food processor works best. I like to leave them in complete circles. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir to seperate. Carmelization occurs with slow cooking. Do not turn them too often. You are looking for a golden brown color. Don't worry if some of the edges seem to get very dark, almost burnt. The darker the brown the sweeter the taste! it may take upto 20 minutes to develop the taste. That's why I only get to make this on Saturday.

Remove the onions onto a plate. Cook the bacon in the same skillet. Cook to taste but I like mine crispy so that I can crumble them over the top.

Remove the bacon to the plate and add the egg to the skillet. Don't drain the bacon fat! It adds to the taste. Cook the egg sunny side up or over easy (mrs. duck likes over hard but it's just not the same). As the egg is done, let some of the grease drain off and place it on top of the onions. Cover the egg with the bacon pieces and be prepared to make another one for everyone that you let taste it!