Monday, August 08, 2005

The Stress of 9/11/01

Sometimes I have trouble understanding the emotions of others. Just last night I had a lengthy discussion with my kids about the nature of "fun." We had just seen Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. (American Chopper for the unwashed) break down a door for "fun." I have trouble understanding how that can be fun. I just don't get it.

Along the same lines, Peter Jennings died after a short battle with lung cancer. The story goes that he quit some twenty years ago but relapsed during the events of 9/11/01. The reason he cited for the relapse was "stress."

Now, I lived through 9/11 also. Without trying to sound callous, how could anyone be stressed enough over the attacks to start smoking again? As horrible and terrible as the attacks were, one should be more stressed over the thought of driving down your average American street. When terrorism breaks into the top ten leading causes of death amongst Americans, then I'll get stressed. Until then, I just don't get it.