Friday, December 16, 2005

An Aussie on the Australian Riots

I had wondered why these riots seemed "to come out of thin air." Now I know there's more to the story.
"After taking an oath on the Qur’an, the man – known only as MSK – told the court he had committed four attacks on girls as young as 13 because they had no right to say “no.” They were not covering their face or wearing a headscarf, and therefore, the rapist proclaimed: “I’m not doing anything wrong.”

MSK is already serving a 22-year jail term for leading his three younger brothers in a gang rape of two other young Sydney girls in 2002. In his own defence, he argued that his cultural background, was responsible for his crimes."


The article clearly lays out how these riots (and by extension, I would say the war on terror) are a clash of cultures. While modern society can try to proclaim that we must accept others and thier belief systems, there will be friction if barbaric customs are practiced within civil societies. (Yes, I am making a value judgement here.) I am even hard pressed to let some of these customs from being practiced in their own countries!

It is my custom to read the Bible and proclaim it's truthfulness to anyone who asks. In some of these countries, persisting in these practices is enough to get me sentenced to death and yet this gentleman tries to say that he should be allowed to practice rape because it fulfills some distorted sense of rightousness! Talk about hutspah!

I have an idea, I promise to refrain from trying to convert Muslems if they promise to stop forcing sex on women and girls. Deal?